Public Riding Areas & Trails
There is theoretically plenty of good riding to be had in the State Forests around Perth and the South West of the State.
Formed roads are able to be ridden by road registered motorcycles and licensed riders. As a guide these are car accessible tracks marked on DEC maps, not single tracks that have been cut through the bush. Obviously roads signposted as not accessible are out, which takes in most of the National parks close to the city. As a courtesy check with the local DEC office.
A couple of cautions:
- Be aware that your interpretation of a publicly gazetted track may not be the same as the Ranger's. Usually the Ranger's view will prevail.
- Be aware of Water Catchment areas. These are generally clearly sign-posted and are sometimes private property and off-limits to all vehicles.
Popular areas are:
- Metro Road - Off Brookton Highway. Land to the East of metro road is state forest and therefore open to properly (A class) licensed and silenced bikes ridden by licensed riders. Land to the West (the Perth side) is water catchment. If you are familiar with this area, we are looking for riders to assist with the development of a Pilot Trail.
- Powerlines Trail - East of Sawyers Valley.
- Lancelin to Cervantes track - beware of four wheel drives!
Historically the needs of trail bike riders have not been considered by state or local government recreational and trails planning. The emphasis has been on walk, bike and bridle trails often displacing trail bikes in the process.
We have a number of projects to address the issue of needing more trails, particularly in the Perth Hills. This includes lobbying the Department of Water to address the current exclusions and working with DEC on identifying trail networks. See our Trail Projects for full details.
DEC and Police are blitzing areas in the South West. Rego and Licences being checked as well as DEC permits for groups.
The Pilot Trail Project is all about learning. Learning how to build and maintain a sustainable trai..
The new western car park to service the Intermediate / Advanced precinct at Pinjar is now comple..
It's taken over five years of patient and persistent lobbying, but we have finally been advised ..
DEC has provided details of the Proposed Conservation Park in the Metro Road area off Brookton H..
Looking for new places to ride that are family friendly, well maintained and legal? Check out ..
York Shire has thrown down the challenge to other local government authorities with a major upgr..
Work is now complete on the resurfacing of the PeeWee Trail and the re-alignment of the North Lo..
We need a volunteer coordinator for the Friends of Pinjar group. The role will be to coordinate ..
We've had positive feedback about Lexia Loop - the new 8km trail at Gnangara.
Sorry, we lost this one. The submission (/LiteratureRetrieve.aspx?ID=77861) by the RTRA to prevent t..
The RTRA has been developing positive relationships with land managers across Western Australia...
We've received a clarification from the Department of Defence to advise that the beach area adjacent..
RTRA Members can now access the DEC 'Non-Commercial Activity Permit' from the Members section (/Memb..